WSP Not Deployed to a SharePoint App Server

As much as anything, this is a reminder for me. We had a customer who were trying to run a PowerShell script that, ultimately, relied on an assembly that was contained in a WSP we’d written. The script wouldn’t work, however, and it transpired that the WSP had not been deployed to the server that they were running the script on. Continue reading “WSP Not Deployed to a SharePoint App Server”

Advertisements
WSP Not Deployed to a SharePoint App Server

Last week I was working on a customer’s Dev system and when we tried to set up search we received the error:

“The search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component”

Interesting. And annoying. I tried removing and recreating the search application service – and we got the same error. Weirdly, it had been working previously. Continue reading

SharePoint Theme Settings page and Enhanced Theming

If you create a site using the Blank template and go to Settings > Site Theme you get a simple page that lets you set your site theme.

If you create a site using the Team Site template and go to Settings > Site Theme, you get a more advanced page.

Both these experiences are supported by the one page (/_layouts/themeweb.aspx). So what gives? Continue reading “SharePoint Theme Settings page and Enhanced Theming”

SharePoint Theme Settings page and Enhanced Theming

"To save to the server, correct the invalid or missing required properties"

I’ve been working on a custom field for, well, a while now, and after making some changes I started to get the error “To save to the server, correct the invalid or missing required properties” when trying to edit a document and save the changes back in Word 2007. This was a little strange, as I’d already sorted out hiding the custom field from the document information panel, and things had been working fine since then.

New documents seemed to be alright, but the older ones weren’t. So, maybe the problems were all the old documents, rather than my field.

Eventually, I came across this knowledgebase article – so I “inspected” the document, removed any of it’s custom data, and resaved it – and it worked fine.

What I think happened here was, I was testing different settings for Content Approval and Versioning on my document libraries. I think the troublesome documents were created when one of those was set to be ‘on’, and I subsequently turned it ‘off’. This meant that the document actually had extra data that referred to a column that no longer existed (I think) – which probably means this is related to Content Approval.

But I’d be curious if anyone else has managed to cause this error, and how they did so.

"To save to the server, correct the invalid or missing required properties"

Having many content types on a list

The question came up the other day – what happens if you have a lot of content types attached to a SharePoint list. Say, for example, a hundred? The ‘New’ menu might get a little, um, large. Well, I used the code for programmatically creating a content type from the other day to create and attach lot of content types. Continue reading “Having many content types on a list”

Having many content types on a list

Observations on SharePoint 2007's irritating Audit

Auditing with SharePoint 2007 is something that I’ve managed to avoid playing with until our current project. Frankly, this has mainly been because the user interface for audit details is inadequate out of the box. Most other systems, you just go to a page, and see what happened to that item.

Anyway now that I’ve started to take a look at it in more detail, I notice a few other minor problems with it… Continue reading “Observations on SharePoint 2007's irritating Audit”

Observations on SharePoint 2007's irritating Audit

How I simplified the Users and Group UI – Conclusion

So, I thought a little wrap up of what we’ve seen and how I figured all this out. Much of what we’ve looked it is just a simplified version of the standard ‘People and Groups’ pages, and a lot of digging around with reflector was involved!

We’ve seen:

  • That listing users is fairly simple using some ‘magic values’, but that supporting the ‘View Selector’ is a bit more complex!
  • That resolving the MembershipGroupId GET parameter is important, but pretty simple, and that there are many ways you could choose to do this.
  • That adding users is pretty simple too – it’s just the sort of SharePoint API code you’d get asked about in the WSS3 App Dev exam.
  • That removing users is a bit yucky – JavaScript to get the IDs of selected users – but again, the code itself is pretty straightforward.

Now the moment you’ve been waiting for – the code for the 3 pages we’ve used itself. Note that I’ve also used a custom Master page for my sites – you’ll want to build your own, with your own navigation, etc..

  • Introduction
  • How to Display a list of users
  • How to Find the MembershipGroupId
  • How to Add Users
  • How to Remove Users
  • Conclusion
  • How I simplified the Users and Group UI – Conclusion