The search provider could not be installed… You might want to try again.

So setting up a new machine, I tried adding the Google search provider plugin for IE11; I wanted to add Google as my default provider rather than Bing. However, the Add-On kept failing to install:

The search provider could not be installed.
This might have happened because:

  • A required file could not be downloaded
  • The website is unavailable
  • You are not connected to the internet

You might want to try again later.

Great. The problem was repeatable, and continued after reboot, and reset of IE’s settings. In desperation, I tried change the country that I was in (in the top right)…

Capture

I changed from United States to Turkey and back – and when I tried to add the extension, it installed without problem.

Hardly conclusive, but an interesting result nonetheless. Let me know if it works for anyone else!

Advertisements
The search provider could not be installed… You might want to try again.

File Path Lengths in Windows

In the Windows API the maximum length for a path is 260 characters.

Slightly edited for length, but that comes from MSDN. Yes, it’s 2014, we’ve dealt with the 8.3 filename limit, found the Higgs Boson, landed a fridge on a comet, but the Windows API still doesn’t play well 260 character length file paths. That’s unfortunate. Continue reading “File Path Lengths in Windows”

File Path Lengths in Windows

Website Bandwidth Usage

Off topic a little for SharePoint, but we all know the value of a Content Delivery Network (CDN), right? In particular, using services that host commonly used files, like jQuery.js, etc.? This has the advantage that other sites that use that CDN may have already cached that file in your visitor’s browser, but it also reduces the bandwidth used by your site.

Well, I found that my site was spending a lot of bandwidth serving jQuery.

Capture

Yup, 10% of my site’s bandwidth was being spent on… serving jQuery. That’s not efficient, so I found this post, which describes how to make the site use a CDN instead. Note that the functions.php file it mentions is the one in your theme.

Hopefully, that’ll reduce the bandwidth used. I also changed the css files for the theme, by minimising them; that should save another 200Mb per month. In total, that should be about a 12% saving on bandwidth.

It’s funny how this all mounts up!

Website Bandwidth Usage

Exchange Tasks integration with iOS and OSx

Outlook has Tasks. I tend to flag emails that I need to take further action on, and they appear in my tasks list in Exchange:

iOS 5 and OSx (Mountain Lion or later) have ‘Reminders’. I figured that it must be possible to show Tasks from Exchange – after all, I could already sync Email and Calendars. So I set this up … and no tasks came through. Puzzling. Continue reading “Exchange Tasks integration with iOS and OSx”

Exchange Tasks integration with iOS and OSx

Change Default Save Location from iCloud

This is a note for myself, found on Mac OSx Hints.

I don’t like the iCloud UI for OSx – it’s inferior to Dropbox. As each application has it’s own iCloud storage it’s pretty hard to store a heterogeneous set of documents relating to a project or customer. For example, a Contract document and an Expenses spreadsheet would be invisible from each other’s program – and Finder.

So, the hell with iCloud by default – let’s use the filesystem. In terminal, run:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSDocumentSaveNewDocumentsToCloud -bool false
Change Default Save Location from iCloud