Make Media Browser show a Tree View, rather than List view

Sitecore’s media browser shows an annoying List View, rather than a Tree view by default. This is sad, ‘cos the Tree view is much more intuitive for users – they’re used a having a drive and folders.

Fortunately, you can make Sitecore use this. I think this tip came from Gert Gullentops originally, but I’m not sure. Continue reading “Make Media Browser show a Tree View, rather than List view”

Advertisements
Make Media Browser show a Tree View, rather than List view

Improve Experience Editor Performance

We have a customer with Sitecore where Experience Editor is quite slow to open. They also spotted in their logs some warnings:

AccessResultCache cache is cleared by Sitecore.Caching.Generics.Cache … Cache running size was 9 MB.

Okay… whut? Continue reading “Improve Experience Editor Performance”

Improve Experience Editor Performance

Handling IIS Error pages in Sitecore

Sitecore lets you direct errors, such as page not found, to other pages within Sitecore. This is good – it lets you have an error page with all your dynamic content (navigation menus, account details, etc).

You can patch this in with something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration xmlns:x="http://www.sitecore.net/xmlconfig/">
<sitecore>
<settings>
<!-- Default: /sitecore/service/notfound.aspx -->
<setting name="ItemNotFoundUrl">
<x:attribute name="value" value="/errors/Item Not Found" />
</setting>
<!-- Default: /sitecore/service/nolayout.aspx -->
<setting name="LayoutNotFoundUrl">
<x:attribute name="value" value="/errors/Item Not Found" />
</setting>
<!-- Default: /sitecore/service/notfound.aspx -->
<setting name="LinkItemNotFoundUrl">
<x:attribute name="value" value="/errors/Item Not Found" />
</setting>
<!-- Default: /sitecore/service/noaccess.aspx -->
<setting name="NoAccessUrl">
<x:attribute name="value" value="/errors/No Access" />
</setting>
<!-- Default: /sitecore/service/error.aspx -->
<setting name="ErrorPage">
<x:attribute name="value" value="/errors/Error" />
</setting>
</settings>
</sitecore>
</configuration>

Great, job done, right?

Nope…  Continue reading “Handling IIS Error pages in Sitecore”

Handling IIS Error pages in Sitecore

Avoiding the IClientApiService

So, I’ve blogged previously about my problems with the IClientApiService on a Content Management (CM) server. See https://andrewwburns.com/2018/08/15/unable-to-resolve-service-for-type-sitecore-emailcampaign-cd-services-iclientapiservice-while-attempting-to-activate/

Well, I asked Sitecore support about it, and they gave a really helpful response:

// This should be injected rather than calling the ServiceLocator
IMessageBus automatedMessageBus = ServiceLocator.ServiceProvider.GetService<IMessageBus>()
AutomatedMessage automatedMessage = new AutomatedMessage()
{
ContactIdentifier = contactIdentifier,
MessageId = emailCampaignId
};
automatedMessageBus.Send(automatedMessage);

Their reasoning for this was:

It is not recommended to add the configuration on CM since:
1) It is not enough to add only the <configurator> section, since it has dependencies on other configuration sections.
2) The CustomServiceConfigurator may change in the next release and the functionality will stop working.

Fair enough, seems sensible, though I’m now slightly at a loss for what the IClientApiService is actually for. I’ve tried the code they’ve send across, and it sends email correctly (and yes, I used DI, rather than a ServiceLocator).

I’ve tested this code locally, and it works nicely; I haven’t yet had a chance to try it on a scaled environment. I also decompiled the relevant assemblies, and yes, behind the IClientApiService implementations it seems to use a MessageBus<AutomatedMessage> object, so this should be equivalent.

Avoiding the IClientApiService

“…is not valid datasource for master or user does not have permissions to access”

I got this error while looking at a customer’s system, and weirdly, all renderings that used datasources had stopped working.

Sadly, I don’t still have the full stack trace, but it turns out the problem was a mis-configured URL for the SOLR service. Sitecore uses content search to find the datasource for a component.

This fact was a new one for me!

I think our URL lacked a /, or /#/. We corrected it, and the error went away – and our datasourced renderings started working again.

I found a reference on StackExchange after the fact.

“…is not valid datasource for master or user does not have permissions to access”

Unable to resolve service for type ‘Sitecore.EmailCampaign.Cd.Services.IClientApiService’ while attempting to activate…

A colleague had this error occur while setting up a production system. Everything had been fine in development, but Dependency Injection seemed to be throwing a wobbly when it tried to load the service we’d written for adding/removing contacts from a subscription list.

Edit: I raised this problem with Sitecore and got a helpful response: https://andrewwburns.com/2018/08/17/avoiding-the-iclientapiservice/

Continue reading “Unable to resolve service for type ‘Sitecore.EmailCampaign.Cd.Services.IClientApiService’ while attempting to activate…”

Unable to resolve service for type ‘Sitecore.EmailCampaign.Cd.Services.IClientApiService’ while attempting to activate…