Editing a XAML build process

So, we’ve been working on putting our SharePoint solutions through a proper build process in Team Foundation Server 2010 (TFS), and I hit a bit of a snag.

I had been given a build definition that had a build process – a Workflow Foundation workflow – that I wanted to alter. The problem was that while I had the XAML file for that workflow, and the DLL that defined some custom code activities that the process used, I didn’t have a full Visual Studio project for it. No problem, I thought, I’ll just open the XAML up in Visual Studio and edit it.


Continue reading “Editing a XAML build process”

Editing a XAML build process

Further notes on SmartAssembly Obfuscation

Some further notes on things I’ve learnt using SmartAssembly on some of our products.

  • Constants do not get obfuscated. Use static readonly variables in their place if the constant contains sensitive information.
  • Run Reflector (or reflection tool of your choice) against your assembly after obfuscation, to check what is visible. Then go back and make the bits you accidentally left public internal or private.
  • Make as many classes and methods as you can Internal
  • Do read the instructions on the attributes you can apply to control obfuscation.
  • Do use Pruning if you want to remove parameter names for methods. That can leak a lot of information about what a class is doing.



Further notes on SmartAssembly Obfuscation

Obfuscation, Code Analysis, and Check-In policies

As mentioned before, we’ve started to use SmartAssembly to obfuscate some of our products. We also use Team Foundation Server (TFS) as source control and build server. Using obfuscation with code analysis caused some issues, which were compounded by our check-in policies. Continue reading “Obfuscation, Code Analysis, and Check-In policies”

Obfuscation, Code Analysis, and Check-In policies

Converting Enumerations

I love Enums – but I always have to look up how to convert them to one thing or another – so a reminder for myself:

Here’s my enumeration:

    public enum MyEnum

And the conversions (each enumeration item has a value (e.g. 1) and a string (e.g. “Beta”):

MyEnum someEnum = MyEnum.Beta;

//Convert to String
string someEnumString = someEnum.ToString();

//Convert to MyEnum again
MyEnum someEnum2 = (MyEnum)Enum.Parse(typeof(MyEnum), someEnumString);

//Convert to int value
int someEnumInt = (int)someEnum;

//Convert int to My Enum again
MyEnum someEnum3 = (MyEnum)someEnumInt;
Converting Enumerations

C# Code to send an email

I’ve been doing some testing of email enabled lists, and I needed to send quite a lot of emails, so I wrote a little console app to do it. Here’s the core of the code I used, in case I need it again, or it’s useful to someone. It uses System.Net.Mail:

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient(@"vm-moss2007.virtual.local");
for (int i = 1; i <= 100; i++)
    MailMessage message = new MailMessage("administrator@virtual.local", <a href="mailto:testlist@sharepoint.virtual.local">testlist@sharepoint.virtual.local</a>);
    message.Subject = string.Format("Message {0}", i);
    message.Body = string.Format("This is message '{0}'", i);
    Console.WriteLine("Sending {0}", i);
C# Code to send an email