More Problems with SharePoint Audit

Right, more problems with Audit, in addition to problems mentioned previously. Although Updates to Documents have version numbers, updates to ListItems do not:

Update is empty of Version info, while Delete is okay

Interestingly, Deletes still have a version number. But there really is no version number recorded for updates… Continue reading “More Problems with SharePoint Audit”

More Problems with SharePoint Audit

Modify ListItem Display to show referencing items…

SharePoint is made up of lists of items, where an item is a set of data. Here is the standard display of an item’s properties:

As you can see, we’ve got a item, and it has some fields of data, and they’re being displayed inside a web part. Those fields are columns on the list:

All very familiar, I’m sure. It gets interesting when we start using Lookup columns, though. These are columns that refer to items in other lists. For example, this is a list of documents, but they refer to items in the above list (that’s what the Item Ref column is doing):

Cool, but wouldn’t it be great if I could show a list of items referring to a particular item on it’s display page? For example, in this case wouldn’t it be good to show a list of ‘Item Documents’ on the DispForm.aspx page used to show the Item’s properties? Well, you can:

(Edit: one of my colleagues points out that Microsoft did this in one of the Fab 40 templates – but I didn’t know).

So how does it work? Continue reading “Modify ListItem Display to show referencing items…”

Modify ListItem Display to show referencing items…

Interference between SharePoint ItemEventReceivers and Web Services

So, I’ve been working on an application that uploads documents to SharePoint and sets metadata on the item via web services. I’ve made a note about how to do this before – although I’ve yet to vent my frustration at not having a web service call to upload a document in a single transaction that either fails or succeeds. Anyway, the result is that I have to upload the file and then set the metadata against it. Unfortunately, this wasn’t working for one of our customers – sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn’t set the metadata. Continue reading “Interference between SharePoint ItemEventReceivers and Web Services”

Interference between SharePoint ItemEventReceivers and Web Services