Turn off Auth on Solr

Okay, so you probably shouldn’t be doing this – but should you install Solr using the Bitnami stack – like I usually would – it will ask you to set up a usename and password to connect with.

This is a good thing (much better than MongoDB’s “Insecure by default” configuration) – but what if you don’t want it (e.g. for your shared dev Solr instance)?

  • Edit \solr-xxxx\apache-solr\conf\solr.conf
  • Set AuthType to “None”
  • Remove “Require User ” line
  • Restart service.

That should do it.

Advertisements
Turn off Auth on Solr

Sitecore’s SearchHits.Slice(int) method seems to change in Sitecore 6.6

I am working on a Sitecore 6.6 upgrade (yes, I know that that is still pretty much obsolete) and I came across a weird bug that took an age to track down. This is more a reminder for myself than anything else.

The code for Lucene searches frequently used lines of the form:

Slice Capture

List<SearchHit> distinctHits = hits.Slice(0).Distinct(new SearchHitEqualityComparer()).ToList();

This always returned zero SearchHits. It seems that this is due to the call to ‘Slice(0)‘ bit. This does raise some questions… Continue reading “Sitecore’s SearchHits.Slice(int) method seems to change in Sitecore 6.6”

Sitecore’s SearchHits.Slice(int) method seems to change in Sitecore 6.6

Appending to the _content field in Sitecore Search 7.2 and 7.5

The _content field in Lucene for Sitecore is basically the full text index. If you index things like PDFs, Word documents, etc., then the results of the IFilter get stored in the _content field.

You can add computed fields into the _content field simply by specifying them with the name ‘_content’. However, I found some differences with how patch files behave.  Continue reading “Appending to the _content field in Sitecore Search 7.2 and 7.5”

Appending to the _content field in Sitecore Search 7.2 and 7.5

Sitecore – Switching Indexes on Rebuild

The project I’m working on makes fairly extensive use of Sitecore’s search functionality, and I realised that one problem I could foresee was that of Index updates. When rebuilding the search index, by default Sitecore deletes the existing index, and then builds a new one. While this is going on, search is not available. That’s not really acceptable… Continue reading “Sitecore – Switching Indexes on Rebuild”

Sitecore – Switching Indexes on Rebuild

Using custom placeholders in Bucket Search views

Sitecore lets you design custom views for searching item buckets – that is, when you’ve got so many items in a part of the tree that search is the only reliable option for finding the items.

However, while Sitecore comes with a number of ‘placeholders’ for the text to use in those views, it’s not obvious how to add more.

Well, I found this mentioned in this excellent post: Add Search Views to Sitecore 7, and here’s my take on it… Continue reading “Using custom placeholders in Bucket Search views”

Using custom placeholders in Bucket Search views