I had a problem that one of our development machines had been configured in a ‘Least Privileges’ configuration – and it was a bit too least. The content app pool could not write to the logs. OWSTimer and WebAnalytics both could, but there was nothing from W3WP for that web app.
Just a reminder to myself…
Well, the solution was to add the app pool account to the ‘Performance Log Users’ group in AD. You find it under BUILTIN. Reset ISS. Voila!
Last year I was working on a system where we were creating a lot of sites. I mean, tens of thousands of sites, and all within one site collection (they’d all have a few documents and tasks, but not many). Anyway, we were told by a partner’s developer that:
- A Site Collection’s Root Site could only have 127 subsites before performance issues would start
- Each of those subsites could have up to 2000 subsites before performance issues would start
This seemed a bit suspicious to me. I had read on MSDN about the capacity boundaries and limits, and knew about the 2000 subsites per site note:
2,000 per site view
The interface for enumerating subsites of a given Web site does not perform well as the number of subsites surpasses 2,000. Similarly, the All Site Content page and the Tree View Control performance will decrease significantly as the number of subsites grows.
Okay, that’s fine. And I knew that the limit on the number of Sites per Site Collection is 250,000. But I couldn’t find anything about this ‘127’ subsites under the root site thing, and I couldn’t help but wonder if this was where the ‘127’ value had come from (125 x 2000 = 250,000) as I simply didn’t see why a root site should be any different to any other type of site. Thus, I decided to test it. Continue reading “How many sub-sites can a site have?” →
When you save a Site Template in SharePoint you can specify a Description. That’s fine – but doesn’t really seem to be used anywhere, other than a little note on the ‘Create new Site’ form (see below). I’d always assumed that it was. Well, I was wrong. Continue reading “Site Template Descriptions and Site Descriptions” →
I’d a really, really weird problem with a customer yesterday. We’d set up their SharePoint search. Indexing seemed to be working correctly, and when I logged in as an administrator, I was getting search results correctly. However, logged in as a normal – though very highly privileged – user my search results were missing! This was some thing of a surprise. It felt like security trimming, but the user was a Site Collection admin, and had Full Control throughout the entire main content web application. Also, we were indexing content off the network file share, and we knew he could access both the SharePoint Content.
However, when he ran a search, he didn’t get any search results. That sucked. I tried another user account – and had the same problem.
Eventually, I looked in the logs and found the following message:
AuthzInitializeContextFromSid failed with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. This error indicates that the account under which this process is executing may not have read access to the tokenGroupsGlobalAndUniversal attribute on the querying user’s Active Directory object. Query results which require non-Claims Windows authorization will not be returned to this querying user.
Continue reading “SharePoint Search – AuthzInitializeContextFromSid failed” →