Error "You do not have access rights to this file"

I had an interesting problem over the weekend. I had been working on a VM several times last week. When I went to open it on Saturday, I got an error:

Could not open virtual machine: I:MOSS003 – OCT07 BaseWindows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmx.

You do not have access rights to this file

Naturally, it struck me that a) I’m admin on my own machine, so privileges seems unlikely, and b) it had worked fine on Thursday. As I: is a USB hard disc, I copied the VM to my local drive, but the problem persisted.

I made sure that permissions were the same for this VM and others – they were.

I tried upgrading VMWare from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2, just on the off-chance – the problem persisted.

I was trying to open the VM by double clicking on the .vmx file. I tried opening the VM through the ‘file open’ dialog too – that didn’t work either. In fact, that caused VMWare to crash.

In the end, one of my colleagues suggested removing all spaces in the VMX file name (based on a post in VMWare’s community forums ) – and that fixed it. If I put the spaces back into the VMX file name – errors again. The really weird thing is, though, that I have plenty of other virtual machines with spaces in the file name, and they seem to work just fine. Further, why did it work and then it start to raise errors when the file names hadn’t changed?

Sounds like a bug. Something isn’t right there.

Oh, I’m using VMWare workstation for Windows 6.0.2 on Vista.

I’ve posted this to the VMWare community site here, but I’m blogging it too, as you have to log in to get the the VMWare site, and I don’t know if Google will pick it up.

Error "You do not have access rights to this file"

Extending VM discs – notes for myself

  1. Shutdown your VM.
  2. Make a copy of the latest state (or the one you want to extend the disc for). You can’t keep snapshots across extending the disc.
  3. Open command prompt, and go to “c:program filesvmwarevmware workstation”
  4. Run the command vmware-vdiskmanager -x 10GB -t 1 “path_to_VMDK_file” . This will extend the virtual hard disc at the path defined to be a 10GB disc, stored as growable 2GB files.
  5. Start the VM. Go to Disk Management, and you’ll see a bigger disk, now with a large unallocated space. You need to extend the partition into that space.
  6. If it isn’t installed already, install DiskPart (which can be downloaded from Microsoft). This is a Microsoft tool, and is built into Windows 2003 Server. However, it works on 2000 and XP too.
  7. Open a command line, and run DISKPART
  8. Type list volume
  9. From the list, identify the volume you want to extend (2 in my case)
  10. Type select volume 2, where 2 is your volume from 9) above.
  11. Type extend.
  12. Job done.

Based on some instructions from here, but I think mine are simpler…

Extending VM discs – notes for myself

Why I wrote simplyxiangqi.com

A long time ago, my Dad got me the game ‘Battlechess 2’. Much time my surprise, it was some strange variant called ‘Chinese Chess’, and I enjoyed it (even though I’m not much good). It doesn’t have the whole ‘pawn-shuffling’ start or drawn out end games, so it appealed.

A lot of time passed, and I became a developer. One day I was looking at an online chess site and I just thought ‘I could build this’. I had recently started learning about JSP and Servlets to work towards Java Web Developer certification. So, I sat down, worked out the logic, learnt about ‘bit boards’, and build the engine for working out valid moves, given a position. And I wrote it all in Java.

After that, all I had to do was build the website to support that engine, and at this point I stalled. Building websites out of Java was excessively hard – security filters for login, carefully planned data structures, lots of JDBC to connect to the database. To be honest, the hard problem cracked, I lost interest.

Time passed. I started to read about this new thing ‘Ruby on Rails’, and so I thought I should take a look. I went through a couple of tutorials and I was impressed. In minutes I could make a (very basic) site that dealt with security, database interaction, etc., pretty much for me. I just thought “Now this is a simple way of building that site”. So, I did.

I ported my code from Java into Ruby in about 4 hours – most of which was getting to grips with the Ruby language itself. I built a database schema, and based the site around that structure.

And that’s pretty much where simplyxiangqi came from.

Why I wrote simplyxiangqi.com

MCMS PowerPoint Slide Shows being converted from PPS to PPT

So I found that PowerPoint slide shows that had been added into MCMS were being retrieved as just plain PowerPoint files. What this really meant was that the file’s mime-type and extension had been changed from ‘PPS’ to ‘PPT’.

This was a pain – it’s just not as pretty as having the file open as a presentation.

It turns out the culprit for this was IIS – it didn’t have a mime-type defined for ‘.pps’. I fixed this using the advice from Microsoft’s support pages – PowerPoint Show (*.pps) file copies as a PowerPoint (.ppt) file from an IIS Web server.

What the article doesn’t mention, though, is that for MCMS, this change needs applied not to the website, but to the ‘NR/rdonlyres’ directory within the MCMS site.

MCMS PowerPoint Slide Shows being converted from PPS to PPT